St. Bernard
Catholic School
Rev. John Powers, founding pastor, 1925
Monsignor H. Gerald McS
St. Bernard Catholic School

At a glance:

Founded: Sept. 8, 1941
School founding principal: Sister Mary Gilbert
School founding pastor: Rev. Thomas Moran
First graduation: June 28, 1942
Founding class population: Six
Current principal: Margaret Samaniego

About St. Bernard Catholic School:

St. Bernard Parish was established in 1924 to serve the needs of the predominately Italian immigrant families in the Glassell Park section of northeast Los Angeles.

St. Bernard School opened its doors on Sept. 8, 1941, to 126 students in grades one to eight in four classrooms. The school was staffed by four religious of the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (BVM) from Dubuque, Iowa. Sister Mary Gilbert was the school's first principal. The first graduation of six students took place on June 28, 1942.

Today, 70 years later, the staff is composed of qualified teachers and administrators dedicated to fulfilling the mission and philosophy of St. Bernard Catholic School and to working tirelessly to ensure that all students meet our Schoolwide Learning Expectations.

For more information on the St. Bernard Catholic School, call (323) 256-4989 or visit www.stbernard-school.com.